Monday, 4 March 2013

Spring Capers

This weekend I've done something different to try and avoid some of the fall outs we seem to be having.  I checked in with my intuition, made some extra effort and rustled up a hearty brunch for my boy mid morning.  Savoury and sugar free were my rules so a cheesy herby omlette is ideal and I think this extra meal between breakfast and lunch could have massively contributed to a much more peaceful weekend.  It did not affect his appetite at lunch or tea time but it kept him away from that dangerous precipice of distracted hunger and kept the boundless energy he has real and positive.  Points to mama!  Also trying the sugar free savoury approach at breakfast time after I learnt there are ten - yes ten teaspoons of sugar/sweeteners in a kid size portion of almost every commercial cereal going - except for shredded wheat!

The kids have started talking about Ostara today.  This is their own flow speaking.  Loving that they are feeling the seasons change and the wheel turn. Sunday should always be baking day EVEN if I have just come off a night shift and today we baked with this coming festival in mind.





 



The super cute bunny bread rolls are a fool-proof no-rise bread dough recipe.  I still prefer the results of regular long winded bread making but for the kids it is perfect.  Here's how we did it:


*  Dissolve 4 tbsp butter and 1/2 cup of honey in 1 cup of boiling water.  Stir until cool.

*  In a separate bowl dissolve 2 tbsp dry yeast in 1.5 cups of luke warm water.

*  Add yeast water to honey and butter.

*  To this add 7 cups of wholemeal flour 1 at a time.

*  Kneed on a floured surface then shape into bunnies or whatever else you fancy.

*  Bake for 40 mins at gas 4.

*  Eat and enjoy!



We finished our day by having a Home Cinema afternoon where we each have a job - Gaia is popcorn officer (she coined that term!) Zander is ticket officer and I am cup of tea officer.  Actually we barely saw any of the movie, we all fell asleep in one big warm delicious nest on the sofa and that in itself was bliss!


Lastly I want to link to Mama Earth Project here as I saw an opportunity with my camera handy to join with them yesterday in the daily photo prompt project running all through March urging us to connect with moments in mama nature.  BARE ... I stretched and dressed and did not want to put on three pairs of socks for the first time since winter arrived.  I wanted to feel fresh air on my feet - free and wriggle toes that have been cooped up so long in our cold house these long winter months.  I grabbed my birkies and skipped out with a basket full of washing, breathed deep and enjoyed the dew that fell on my feet as I moved through the grass.  It's the little things right?



With love and light and blessings bright X

No comments:

Post a Comment