Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Gluten-free flour Chocolate Marmalade and Cashew Cake


In an effort to rid my house of so many mama/kiddo confrontations and following awesome suggestions from a mama friend, 3 o'clock - formerly gremlin hour, is now cake o'clock ... the idea being a daily wedge, a large wedge at that, of homemade cake should boost energy levels and smiles all round!

So today I devised this recipe with the odds and sods in my kitchen cupboards


you need:

2 cups gluten free flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
5 tablespoons (at least) of marmalade
200g dark chocolate
a slosh or two or three of goats milk (or whatever milk is to hand)
5 egg yolks (I misinterpreted a different recipe I was referring to for rough guidance.  Egg yolks worked well but I don't see why you couldn't use 3 whole eggs)
1 cup of dark muscovado sugar or molasses
1 cup marg/butter
2 oz cashew nuts ground.
zest of one orange

icing sugar for dusting

method:

Pre-heat oven at gas mark 4.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or something heatproof over a pan of boiling water. Allow to cool a little.

Cream butter and sugar together then add eggs, marmalade and melted chocolate.

Add flour, baking powder and ground cashews (I blitzed whole nuts in my food processor) and orange zest - combine well.

Add milk until you have a nice light fluffy creamy consistency.

Pour into a tin and bake for about 45 mins - but obviously it is ready when I knife comes out clean.

Dust with icing sugar or whatever your preferred topping - I would have liked to use some kind of devilish cream cheese icing but no one in my family likes that except me.




So I've just wrapped a hunk of this up for each of my kids to have when I collect them after school and nursery in an hour, hope it goes some way to keeping us all perky!  Off to bake some bread now.

With love, light and blessings bright! X

2 comments:

  1. Sipping a cup of chai while I read this, swooning over your cake.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mama this cake is even better second day - moister and the flavours are more as I imagined they would be too! Going to try variations on the theme tomorrow! big love X

      Delete