Monday, 19 March 2012

Tea and Thrift.

I hear by re-enrol in the school of thrift.  Spurred on by this little book whispering my name from our dusty bookshelf ...


And the fact that my finances are in more of a pickle than I thought.  It doesn't pay to just stick it on the credit card and worry about it later.  No no no.  Every spare penny I have must now go towards paying that cursed bit of plastic off.  Though I originally applied for a credit card to build a credit rating it's morphed into a debt I never intended and debt is no life for a young family.  It's not as if I have anything exuberant to show for the money either ... it got me through Christmas, my thirtieth and we survived a little but now it's gone I thoroughly wish I'd splashed out on the DSLR and a pair of DM's at the outset.  At least I could say oops! then simultaneously yay! and do a little happy dance ... in new boots!  I just feel a little wretched, rather irresponsible and slightly panicky about this little pickle.

It's brought clarity though, I'm a one motivated mama on a mission.  I will not be beaten.  I will have to be thriftier than ever for a while thats all.  It would be nice to be debt free within six months to a year, so no more coffee shop dates with the little lady from now on, we'll have to play coffee shops at home.  I will have to scrutinise  the shop shelves for the best bargains and reduced products.  I will stop doing a big old monthly shop for food and except for sundry things like washing powder and loo roll, buy daily only precisely what I need.  All treats will be home made.  Store cupboard stock must be used!  There must be tens of meals sitting there waiting to be made.  Veg can continue to come from the farm shop or organic market as that is cheapest and happiest anyway and come May it will be coming from our own back yard.  I will start planning meals again instead of winging it on a whim and a trip to the shop.  I will try and keep charity shop purchases to a minimum but really it's no sweat spending a couple of pounds here and there on new-pre-loved clothes if we're in need.  Skincare has always been simple but I will simplify and thrift even more - I've moved my bottle of extra virgin olive oil up to the bath room.  It removes mascara, softens beautifully and dissolves on contact with water.  I might try and sell some old baby stuff in the loft - cots, mobiles and the likes that we will never use again.

But skint and happy has been my moto for the majourity of my life so nothing new.  Today the sun is shining and the boy merrily skipped like a newborn lamb through a patch of nubile daffodils and dappled light on the way to school this morning.  I consciously kept myself completely present in the moment and etched it into my memory.  He's still on a mothers day high, insistent the celebration continues ... old ethos of a celebration being a season not just one day seems so much a part of our little beans ... when did we forget this, aim for a single day and sigh with relief once it was over?  It had my bakin' synapses and fingers all of a twitch anyway and so a mothers day tea party happened.

... absent mama's with us in spirit.  My own little family made me feel special and loved.  I love my Worlds Best Mum mug, the photo frame and key ring that Cliff arranged for the children to give to me.  A cup of tea in bed ... well that is a rare luxury, one much savoured.  I loved  Zanders homemade card inside of which for the first time he wrote I Luv You.  Seriously I felt my heart miss an actual beat and I gasped as I saw it.  And as I helped them dress he told me he was going to 'look his best' for me.  Blessed?  I think so.

Who knew you could turn baking into an independent writing exercise?   He wrote out some recipes. I left as many of the spellings and phonics to him as I could, he's very good at segmenting.



On making a mistake ... (actual transcript)

mama: 'can you turn the cat C into a kicking K?'

Zander: 'Yes indeed I can because there's a capital K that has that C shape'

Love him!

There have been other joys too ...

Delighted squeals from the children as they gallivant like imps around a fresh sodden garden. The birds have been singing 'bout spring too.

....finding a well kept secret of a park nearby.


... ladybird house.

... Gaia's first drawing of a person...tis my friend Lima, complete with a little pink baby belly and sunglasses.

... sticking with the star chart and mummy has one too this coming week - my targets as directed by Zander - to meditate daily and to try not to be moody or cross when they misbehave. 



... Self entertaining.


... planting the first vegetables in the garden ... potato's and onions are in.  This little lady loves worms!

The spring equinox happens tomorrow, clocks leap forwards an hour at the weekend and the days stretch out fumbling to grasp summers delicate fingers, marvellous.  If this weather holds a fire in the garden can be had and a humble feast can be savoured and devoured.  Or perhaps a drive up to some ancient woods with a picnic tea maybe.  So long as we are outside in mother natures cradle I care not and the outdoors is free.

Blessings and Love x



1 comment:

  1. sounds like you were spoilt like me on sunday! well done for being thrifty, i think i could do with doing that a little more too ;0

    ReplyDelete