Sunday, 18 March 2012

Rock on!

"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie"
~Tenneva Jordan

This is a mother's day shout out to all the Mama's I know.  Some I'm really close to our friendships have endured decades and blossomed into deep and beautiful blooms.  Some I met just last year in the school playground - a cheery smile and common ground unite us and we see that our paths will continue to cross as our children's do.  One I was born to thirty years ago, she kept me warm and safe.  One I look up to as I might a big sister ... even though really she's two years my junior.  One who has cared for my children as I have gone out to work and how glad I am they found a surrogate mama in her for whilst I was absent.  Some I am only just meeting, dipping our toes in the waters of friendship, making ripples in each others lives, taking chances; weaving each other in, in the hope that one day we can call each other old family friends.  Some I only know through the ether - this magical thing called the Internet.  Though I am a stone age girl with my stone age phone, never even seen an app (what's that?!) the sheer wealth of inspiration, beauty and like minded souls out there, my how nourishing it has been to set foot into the blogosphere and to find gentle wholesome forums.

My boyfriend jovially mocks me when as I sit at the computer tapping away he asks what I am doing ... for he knows I'm reading blogs, writing my own or gleaning pearls of wisdom from those forums.  He calls it 'chatting rubbish' with my 'bloggy mates' but secretly I think he's envious! 
Motherhood was never meant to be a solitary journey, even with a partner at hand women are communal societal creatures who rely on each other and their matriarchal networks, where ever they may be - to work things out, find new ways of doing things, bounce ideas, have a wee grumble and a cup of tea. Without all the above women I would probably be a nervous wreck, so I raise my glass (thank you my sister, wine was a terrific alternative to cut flowers!) to mama's every where and say ... rock on ... you rock!

“Sweater, n.: garment worn by child when its mother is feeling chilly.” – Ambrose Bierce

X

No comments:

Post a Comment